The Reference collection at the St. Joseph Public Library consists of non-circulating material about local and area history. Collection highlights includes St. Joseph newspapers on microfilm dating from the 1840s to present; an obituary database of deaths listed in St. Joseph newspapers that date from the 1950s to current (additional years actively being indexed); genealogy; family histories; local history; yearbooks; materials on the American Civil War and westward expansion of the United States.
The Reference Collection is housed in the historic Downtown Library at 927 Felix Street. The St. Joseph Public Library system was founded in 1890 and now consists of four branches. The Downtown Library opened in 1902 and was beautifully restored in 2004. The Carnegie Library opened in 1902 and the Washington Park Library opened in 1910; both were fully renovated in 2002. The Carnegie and Washington Park branches were built with funds from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The East Hills Library was constructed and opened in 2004.
927 Felix Street
St. Joseph, MO 64501